Today's first headlines and continuing news updates all day at www.hometownheadlines.com
Top stories today:
- Ware Mechanical watch: Tropical Storm Hermine a threat, especially in South Georgia, and what it means to holiday travel. Hermine
- Dining: Captain D's getting an overnight makeover in East Rome. Photo gallery. Dining
- Weekend Focus: Nearly 1,500 expected for 44th Annual Armuchee Bluegrass Festival this weekend. Bluegrass
- Weekend at a glance: From pow wow to Rome's best barbecue. Weekend
- Georgia Health News: Plan to reduce the number of Georgians without health coverage, unveiled Wednesday, takes conservative approach to Medicaid expansion. Health
Latest local headlines:
- Ware Mechanical forecast: A little bit cooler Friday, Saturday; overnight will feel fall-like through Monday morning. Weather
- Education: Rome High's quick-read Instagram calendar (steal this idea). GNTC offers free GED practice test. Floyd School Board meets Tuesday. Education
- Flood relief: Rome man featured in 'Humans of the Water,' detailing survival in flooded Louisiana. Plus: School supplies still needed. Aftermath
- Buzz: Trinity, Metropolitan United Methodist churches off fall program, 'How to Neighbor.' DOT suspends highway construction for holiday weekend. Buzz
- Floyd Emergency Management Director Tim Herrington on what you need to know about National Preparedness Month. Prepare
- Education: Pepperell High's Caps & Grounds opens; coffee shop even offers with a special bland, Dragon Roast. Education
- Floyd's College and Career Academy wins state Shark Tank Innovation Challenge, $10,000 prize. Education
- Remembering Mr. Carlton Max Akins. Obituaries
- Public Health restaurant inspection scores. 64 for downtown Cartersville restaurant. Dining
- Area arrest reports brought to you by Dr. Miniyar's Pediatrics. CrimeWatch
- Traffic: Georgia DOT, Google Maps or Waze.
- State business headlines: Georgia Trend
- Northwest Georgia jobs: Career Builder
- John McClellan's high school picks: Ridgeland over Darlington, Cartersville to dominate Calhoun, close win for Rome. McClellan
- Georgia High School Football Daily.
- Shorter opens 2016 football season at UT Chattanooga tonight at 7.
- Some radio changes for this weekend only because of football, baseball.
- Rome Braves in final stretch of playoff chase.
- Playoff tickets for Rome Braves now on sale; $5 for any seat if purchased in advance. Playoffs
- Mills Fitzner's Rome Braves' home game photo gallery.
- Atlanta Braves: Today vs. Padres. At Phillies Friday-Sunday.
Hometown Headlines Radio Edition, 7-9 a.m., WRGA 98.7 FM.
- Please join our guests including:
- At 7:40 a.m.: Tim Herrington, director of Floyd County Emergency Management, on National Preparedness Month -- and keeping an eye on Tropical Storm Hermine.
- At 8:10 a.m.: Matt Pearce from the Small Business Development Center on "Customer Service – Dealing with Difficult/Dissatisfied Customers.
- At 8:40 a.m.: Tony Kunczewski, head coach of the Berry Vikings, on what's new about the 2016 football team as it opens the season Saturday at 6 p.m. vs. Maryville.