Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Floyd schools Superintendent Dr. Lynn Plunkett to retire in December.

Media release: Dr. Lynn Plunkett, superintendent of Floyd County Schools, announced her intention to retire in December at the April Floyd County Board of Education meeting held on Tuesday, April 3.  In an announcement at the end of the meeting Dr. Plunkett said, "After much prayerful consideration and many hours of discussions with my family, I have decided to retire from my position as superintendent of the Floyd County School System, effective December 1, 2012, in order to spend more time with my family. I truly love my job and this school system and have enjoyed my 11 years here, especially the last 4 1/2 years as superintendent.  It has been an honor and privilege for me to serve my home town community which helped shape so much of my life.  Dr. Plunkett is a graduate of Coosa High School in the Coosa community.  

Dr. Plunkett's retirement will be effective on December 1, 2012.  The date will also mark the fifth anniversary of Dr. Plunkett becoming superintendent of Floyd County Schools. "It is appropriate and fitting for this same date to mark the day on which I retire as superintendent of this excellent school system," Plunkett stated. "
I am so proud of the accomplishments of students and staff over the past years, and hope that, in some small way, I have contributed to those successes."  

During her time in Floyd County Schools, Dr Plunkett has helped to improve the system's honors academic program to become one of the top programs in the area.  The Honors Prep program of study comes with a guarantee that graduates will be ready for college.  She also has worked with the community to develop the Floyd County Schools College and Career Academy charter school and transition the system to become one of Georgia's first charter systems.  "I expect to see Floyd County Schools become an even greater school system in future years," she said. "I have no doubt that the school system will continue to prepare students for the 21st century and continue to lay the foundation for our students to pursue any pathway that they may choose in life."  Dr. Plunkett has served as assistant superintendent and superintendent of Floyd County Schools. 

The focus on advanced academic offerings for students has led to some of the highest academic achievement for the system in its history.  The system has surged passed the state and nation on SAT scores, been recognized at the state and national level for student achievement and has been designated an "Outperformer" among school systems in the country by Standard and Poor's.  "I cannot begin to express to each of you my appreciation for the support and encouragement that you have given me over the years as we have forged partnerships within our school system and within the community that have created more and better opportunities for our students," Plunkett said.  "We have worked as a team to do whatever was needed in order to further the mission of this school system…to provide a quality education for a quality life."

Dr. Plunkett has also been a leader in education across the state and at the national level.  She has represented Georgia superintendents on the American Association of School Administrators serving on the superintendent groups Board of Governors.  She was also part of the transition team for Dr. John Barge when he was elected State Superintendent of Schools for Georgia and is currently serving on the Charter Advisory Committee for Georgia. As I enter this new phase of my life, I look forward to new challenges and opportunities, and, hopefully, quite a lot of relaxation time," Plunkett said. "I will forever keep my Floyd County family in my heart."

Dr. Plunkett was quick to note that there was still much work to be done before December and her official retirement. "For the next few months, I will continue to lead this system as we face the challenges we face," she said. "I know that we will meet those challenges with creative energy and collaboration as we seek continual improvement."  Dr. Plunkett also pledged to work with the Board in any way that they deem appropriate in assisting with the transition of a new superintendent for Floyd County Schools.

"I wish this school system much success," Plunkett concluded." Please know that I will always be your greatest cheerleader!"

No comments: